Thursday, March 12, 2009

Nice sentence

Isabel, a bartender/erstwhile private investigator, meets a man in a bar who extends his hand to her:

"I shook it, because that's what you do, and then picked up a dishrag and began drying some glasses, because that's what bartenders do."

from Revenge of the Spellmans, by Lisa Lutz.

[I'm breaking some rules of this blog here, but a little explication: I like this because 1) It's funny; 2) It's funny, but in another context it could as easily be said by Sam Spade or Lew Archer -- imagine it in Bogart's voice; 3) I like the way the humor derives in part from recognizing that the social dilemma people face is mirrored by the dilemma the writer faces: "How do I make [myself / my character] look like a bartender, and look like a person?"; 4) It feels like a line I could have written, and I greatly admire my own humor.

The jokes I like best are 1) those I never would have thought of, and 2) those I could have thought of.]

No comments: