Friday, January 16, 2009

Coffee House Brawl

My latest dream:

Having drinks at what seems to be a coffee house with a friend from out of town, and someone else. Though a coffee house, whatever I'm drinking is getting me drunk. After two drinks we go downstairs and out to the street. My friend suggests that he and I head to The Dragon, a nearby bar.

Next thing I know, I am back in the coffee house by myself, drinking again. I wonder where my friend is and figure he must be at The Dragon. But then a guy from a group at the next table, slaps and scratches at my face, saying things I don't understand. I bite his finger, though not too hard. I come to realize that he and his friends are acting, and in the midst of putting on a play for the coffee house audience. But the manner in which the actor keeps involving me -- attacking my face -- makes me wish they'd respect the fourth wall a bit more.

My nose hurts from the attack, and I go downstairs to a mammoth bathroom. Mammoth, deserted, like an old basement. Furnished with brown leather couches. I look in the mirror, and learn that the actor had been smearing red paint on me, and my hair and neck are covered in red paint. I wash it off, but it is a difficult task. The paint smears, and I am thoroughly scrubbed and drenched, like a soaking dog, before the paint comes off. I also realize that under the paint I had been given a slight bloody nose.

I leave the restroom and learn from someone entering it that I had been in the women's room. I tell the woman entering that it didn't matter, as I was just washing my face.

Walking up the stairs away from the bathroom, a man recognizes me, and accuses me of treating the actors badly. For one thing, I bit that guy's finger. He starts pushing me and we get into a coffee house brawl.

No comments: