Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Two from Grinderman, that cheer me right up. Turn the black sky grey.


I changed the sheets on my bed,
I combed the hairs across my head,
I sucked in my gut and still she said
That she just didn't want to.

I read her Eliot, read her Yeats,
I tried my best to stay up late,
I fixed the hinges on her gate,
But still she just never wanted to.

. . . I sent her every type of flower,
I played her guitar by the hour,
I patted her revolting little chihuahua,
But still she just didn't want to.

. . . thought I'd try another tack,
I drank a litre of cognac,
I threw her down upon her back,
But she just laughed and said that she just didn't want to.

"No Pussy Blues" [sung brilliantly -- great glottal catch in the recurrent "she didn't want to" line. And manages to make flower, hour and chihuahua rhyme]

I've got to get up to get down and start all over again
Head on down to the basement and shout:
"Kick those white mice and black dogs out!
Kick those white mice and baboons out!
Kick those baboons and other motherfuckers out! And...

Get it on
Get it on

"Get It On"


"Man on the Moon" is less cheerful:

My daddy was an astronaut
That’s what I was often taught
My daddy went away too soon
Now he’s living on the moon

No comments: